Re: [xml-dev] XML design of ((a and b) or c)

Hi Ken

The point here is quite subtle and VERY important.

Let's just take "a AND b" or "a & b" to reduce the overloading of the
word and.

Now if a and b are atomic and & is commutative the the order of
evaluation is unimportant and optimisers can play around to suit themselves.

However, if a or b are not atomic and the calculation of either has side
effects then "a & b" is no longer commutative and optimisers cannot stop
the calculation on detection of a or b being false.

Unless of course we agree to use slightly different mathematics: "a & b"
is not commutative; it is evaluated left to right; and evaluation stops
if a is false. This can then be extended to "a & b & c ...".

Now the "a & b" of computer languages is fundamentally different to the
"a & b" of mathematics although they degenerate to the same thing if a
and b are atomic.

The order of processing of elements in XML is therefore important if XML
is to be used to represent computing structures as opposed to
mathematical structures. If XML didn't preserve the order of evaluation
then the XML would have to be first used to model a stack and that
vocabulary used to model the mathematics.

Fortunately documents are even more sensitive to order of evaluation so
that isn't a problem - order of elements must be preserved (but not
attributes ;) )

However the other side effect is also interesting and important - the
ability to not evaluate something once a condition has been determined
(or  indeed force evaluation). At the moment I believe XSLT is required
for that.

Rick