Announce: UBL Book - "Practical Universal Business Language Deployment" First Edition now available

For those interested in UBL, below is an announcement for a new book
that is now available for sale based on our instructor-led training class.

Please ask any questions or send any feedback, comments and
suggestions regarding the publication to us off-list.

Thanks!  We hope you find this useful.

. . . . . . . . . . Ken

cc: UBL-Dev, XML-Dev

I'm very pleased to announce the immediate availability of the first
edition of our new book!  The commercial PDF publication titled
"Practical Universal Business Language Deployment" is now available
for sale on Crane's web site:

   Practical Universal Business Language Deployment
   First Edition - 2006-12-18 - ISBN 978-1-894049-16-0
   Copyright (c) 2006 Crane Softwrights Ltd.
   / 188 Pages / Subscription price includes no-charge updates, /
   /           / soft-copy of support files, and an accessible  /
   /           / rendition and 10 PDF renditions.               /
   /           / No-charge 54-page download preview excerpt.    /

The Universal Business Language (UBL) is a publicly-available and
royalty-free XML vocabulary for 31 business documents such as
purchase order, invoice, statement, etc.:

   http://docs.oasis-open.org/ubl/os-UBL-2.0/UBL-2.0.html

The full-page-sized PDF files are hypertexts to a number of useful
pages on the Internet including subdirectories of the OASIS UBL 2.0
package.  Note that the half-page-sized PDF files are suitable for
printing and do not contain hyperlinks.

In the accessible HTML rendition all of the diagrams have prose
descriptions that are not included in the PDF files.  This rendition
presents all information in a monospace font with numeric indications
of indentation suitable for tactile screen reading devices.

This is the third time that Crane Softwrights Ltd. has followed the
publishing model of starting a first edition book with the handouts
from a training class, missing some features found in other
books.  Then over the months and years we add more and more to the
book to exceed the capacities of use in a classroom environment.  Our
XSLT book is in its 12th edition after 7 years.  Our XSL-FO book is
in its 6th edition after 5 years.  Customers who have purchased any
edition of a given book have been receiving free updates of that book
and will continue to do so.

Expected in future editions of this UBL book:
  - add an index (empty in the first edition)
  - flesh out multiple modules on controlled vocabularies (code lists
and identifiers)
    - genericode data model
    - context/value association files for extending and restricting code lists
  - flesh out multiple modules on customization
    - creating schemas for a subset
    - writing schemas for the extension point
  - respond to customer feedback regarding which sections need more information

The reason the first edition of any of our books is released in a
slightly incomplete fashion is to garner feedback.  Our book
customers and our classroom students have been our best sources for
information and guidance in the revising of our other books, and we
anticipate the same will be true for this UBL book.  Customers have
appreciated their suggestions getting incorporated into the book to
make revisions of the book more useful to their tasks.  And there is
no penalty for buying an early edition as all subsequent editions are
available at no charge.  In the early days we will probably have new
editions every two to four months.

We want this to become an indispensable resource for you and you can
help us make that by telling us what you need to see in the book.

For downloading the free excerpt preview and for information on
buying a copy of this PDF book, please follow the link in our trailer
below and click on the "Books & free excerpts" link in the right-hand
marginalia.  For information on scheduled deliveries of the hands-on
training class, click on the "Training schedule and course syllabi" link.

Crane Softwrights Ltd.          http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/x/
Male Cancer Awareness Aug'05  http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/x/bc