Re: [xml-dev] What to escape when serializing XML

Purely from an XML / object serialization point of view your main concern is
to escape those characters corresponding to the built-in parameter entities
&, <, >, " and '.  Even these are not required in all
contexts (e.g. within attribute values delimited by " characters, you need
not escape ' characters etc.

In terms of end-of-line encoding, the approach seems to be to output what is
convenient (CR, LF, or CRLF) and have the receiving application sort out the
situation.  Conceptually, the receiving XML processor should normalize the
end-of-line markers to 0x0A and then the application converts that to which
ever of CR, LF, or CRLF is appropriate.  However, it's quite possible to do
this in one step.  See section 2.11 of the XML spec for more.

HTH,

Pete.
Pete Cordell
Tech-Know-Ware Ltd