Re: [xml-dev] 2007 Predictions

Pete Cordell wrote:
> Hi Tei,
>
> Just wondering why you think HTTP should be deprecated.
I'm over https. <big_statement>as the vast majority of internet traffic
is now spam and multi-media downloads </big_statement> i would have
thought that finding something worth stealing on the internet these days
is a bit like the needle in the haystack.

> I would have thought the vast amount of HTTP traffic does not benefit
> from security, so why require it if it's not needed?
>
> My gut feeling is that using HTTP over TLS for all requests would
> dramatically increase server load.  Does anybody have more empirical
> data for this?
>
> Re: IPv4 vs. IPv6: It seems that a lot of IETF protocol design now
> grudgingly acknowledges the presence of NATs.  There may now even be
> less pressure to deploy IPv6 than there was earlier!!!!  (If the
> question had been what the IETF should do I would say they should do
> IPv7 which would basically be IPv4 with a shim above the IP layer to
> capture NAT state so that NATs could be state-less and addressing
> could be end-to-end.  Alas that wasn't the question!)
NAT is not a good solution for VOIP and other point-to-point technology.
And indeed things like msn and skype that use central servers to
overcome the NAT problem also, by definition, lead to an unnecessary
increase in required internet bandwidth.

Rick