Re: [xml-dev] 2007 Predictions

Elliotte Harold wrote:
> What do people think is going to happen in 2007 in XML? What are we
> going to talk about for the next 12 months? Which new technologies are
> going to birth industries? Which ones are going to flop? What are your
> predictions?
Criswell predicts! (See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Amazing_Criswell)

Here are five predictions: they are not tsunamis but more like the slow
but inexorable sea-level changes from global warming.

*>  I think 2007 will see  XPath-based type-binding systems becoming a
common part of the furniture. It uses an existing, standard technology
and is modest and targeted in its goals: good signs for viral,
grassroots acceptability.

Examples of systems that do this include XForms, MicroSoft's OOXML, and
we are looking at adding it to ISO Schematron too. Crystal-balling, by
end of 2007, I wouldn't be surprised if a tool to present the equivalent
XPath to locate an XSD particle came out; this would allow people who
define their systems using a grammar to implement type-aware solutions
using XPath technology rather than PSVI (grammar-checked) technology.
Whether this ultimately leads to the marginalization of XSD Structures
or re-invigorates it, who knows?

*> 2007 will also see more awareness by software architects for the
need/usefulness/wisdom of content inspection by business firewalls. They
will start to put these firewalls in as a standard part of the design
rather than as an add-on. Especially as more AJAX or XForms transactions
allows consortium- or association-defined documents, not
backend-to-backend but agent-to-broker, broker-to-supplier, and even
agent-to-supplier transactions.

Systems will be architected so that each class of client, broker and
supplier has a custom business-rules checking stage. (The Lloyd's London
Markets is a good example of this.)

*> Independently, but with the same effect, there will be an increase in
interest in XML Governance from upper management: they will increasingly
want lower management to be able to prove with metrics and standard
procedures that adequate QA and QC systems are in place.

This will be a maturity issue: fresh and chaotic and growing companies
will not adopt it as much as organizations with established markets,
expertise and operations.

*> My ISO Schematron (now out in pre-beta) will be finally completed
this month, and that will allow more government and consortia to roll
out Schematron-based solutions and standards in 2007. I expect to see
more Schematron-based pilot projects.

*> I expect more governments as well as organizations with archiving
requirements will ban binary and non-ISO-standard formats: a hierarchy
of ISO HTML (really W3C XHTML), ISO ODF, ISO OOXML and ISO PDF will be
established by order of preference/interoperability/fidelity.  So
archiving organizations would start accepting OOXML and updating their
old binary files to OOXML, while inter-office documents and tenders will
be required to use ODF, for example.

Cheers
Rick Jelliffe