Re: [xml-dev] When parsing speed matters (was Re: [xml-dev] No XMLBinaries? Buy Hardware)

Elliotte Harold wrote:

> Or a native XML database.

Or an RDF database.  You do realize that SQL and XML databases will be
subsumed by RDF databases and data models shortly, right?  Even for
communicating extensible information between processes, we tend to see
RDF (usually RDF/XML) as the first and best tool rather than XML.

Comparing XML to a relational database is mixing incompatible concepts
to a large extent.  What is actually being referred to is XML vs. binary
result set transport formats, i.e. something closer to a binary XML
format.  Because of the historical mistake of defining ODBC as an API
rather than a protocol, the protocols were somewhat optimized by each
database company.  (I always blamed this on Microsoft until I found the
ANSI ODBC standard some years back.  Of course, Microsoft may have been
the driver or controlling the committee...  In any case, ODBC is one of
the great blunders of IT over the last couple decades for a number of
reasons.)

We need fast, compact encoding of both XML and RDF (and all similar
formats such as JSON).  Ideally, a parse-free (i.e. no serialization or
deserialization) mode would also be supported.

The W3C EXI working group is working on the base efficient XML format:
we're writing the specification draft now.  I have more requirements and
additional features to tackle the bigger problem.  The win is even
larger for RDF than it is for XML, and the random access, indexing,
delta, and directly modifiable properties and features that I insist on
are even more appropriate.

sdw