Re: [xml-dev] Speed in Languages and Browser Architectures

String processing in C is tricky at best. Why? well there's no such
thing as a string in C...

So Dennis decided a string was an ascii sequence of bytes terminated by
a 'NUL' (and not containing a NUL). This has lots of limitations and
over the years the definition and libraries have changed - but string is
a library, not a language concept.

Then to confound the issue most modern C compilers take advantage of
native string processing instructions in modern CPUs so many elements of
the standard C string library are actually compiled into single CPU
instructions (yeah I know the microcode does lots of instructions).

So performance of C and strings is notoriously difficult to measure
accurately and can vary wildly between architectures, libraries, and
compilers.

I expect Java and C# are much more consistent.

Guess it's time to write some code my way and see what happens

Rick