[xml-dev] When parsing speed matters (was Re: [xml-dev] No XML Binaries? Buy Hardware)

\

On 3/5/07, Peter Hunsberger <peter.hunsberger@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 3/5/07, James Fuller <james.fuller.2007@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 3/5/07, Len Bullard <cbullard@hiwaay.net> wrote:
> > ok, you are starting to open my eyes to this....though people tend to
> > understand in incremental steps...the problem is that I cant 'see'
> > going from the 4 hours I just spent making a slightly complicated 2D
> > html search form validate and return results properly using html, to
> > coding a full blooded 3d GUI/interface....perhaps I dont have enough
> > imagination...though I certainely can imagine pain; and I tend to
> > avoid it.
>
> My eight year old daughter decided that she wants to have her own web
> site the other day.  The first thing she wanted to do was make 3D
> animals and houses to put on it...

> > so 'where are the baby steps'...is there some vestigal markup language
> > here to lead us to 3d...I doubt it...it will be some 'fad' that brings
> > us there first (we will call it.....web 3.0 e.g the 3d web...get it,
> > get it...ugg).
>
> I pointer my daughter at Google Sketchup, figured that would keep her
> occupied for a while.  She's actually mastering it pretty fast.  Now
> she's starting to ask about animation...

its great that she has no inhibitions and can imagine w/o
pain...unfortunately when one gets past a number of years the 'avoid
pain' principles is a bit more cultured and refined and unfortunately
by its nature inhibiting.

Even though I attempted such things at the beginning of my career, I
can't see myself personally ever implementing 3d interfaces with hand
typed code, perhaps with a WII interface.....now thats another thing
alltogether.

nice story; though eventually, being her father's daughter, she will
start wondering where the open standards are, does it run in opera, or
any of the X Y Z multiplicities of why something doesnt look or
function correctly (or how to perform functional tests against a 3d
interface).

cheers, Jim Fuller