From: Philippe Poulard [mailto:Philippe.Poulard@sophia.inria.fr]
Sent: ä 08 îøõ 2007 19:22
To: Shlomo Yona
Cc: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
Subject: Re: [xml-dev] BOM and encodings questions

Shlomo Yona wrote:
> .1.
>
> If an XML document starts with the FF FE BOM (UTF-16, little endian) but
> the encoding is set to “UTF-8” in the prolog, what is the expected
> behavior of the Parser?
>
> I think that the parser should respect the BOM, read the prolog assuming
> it is encoded in UTF-16 little endian and then process the remaining of
> the XML document in UTF-8 as the prolog says.
>
> Is this correct?

I'm not sure, but a BOM can't be used with UTF-8, so the parser should
fail to decode the prolog, as the characters expected should be UTF-16
encoded : "<?xml " would be interpreted as 3 characters

> .2.
>
> Is an XML parser expected to process a document in alternating
> encodings? I mean, is there a way to signal the parser that from a
> certain point on the encoding changes to some other encoding? If so, how?

the only case I know is with external entities : each can have its own
encoding that may be different from the document's one

> .3.
>
> Is there a way to express the expected encoding of the XML document in
> the XML Schema? If so, how?

too late : XML Schema works at the logical level

I don't know why you try to enforce an incoming document to be encoding
with a given one, let the parser do the job and fail normally if it is
not supported

However, a SAX parser can supply informations about the encoding of a
document, so you can write a filter like this :

if encoding != THE_ENCODING
then fail_for_an_obscure_reason()
endif

--