Doing QA on an XML parser

I've been faced with the task of doing quality assurance of a developing XML
parser. This turns me pale, because I know of few tasks that are more
difficult or crucial.

The goal is more specifically a non-validating XML parser that conforms to XML
1.0 and XML Namespaces 1.0.

How does one achieve that task?

What I find the tricky part of this, is knowing when one have done it
correctly, and in fact have done it at all, and haven't missed anything. What
is the correct regression testing/quality assurance to perform on an XML
parser? How does one avoid ending up with junk?

For instance, if one pass W3C's XML Test Suite[1], does that mean anything in
practice, or must one resort to some other kind of conformance testing in
addition? What do others do?

Generally, any advice or sharing of hard-earned experiences are of interest.

Thanks in advance,

		Frans

1.
http://www.w3.org/XML/Test/