RE: [xml-dev] xsd:anyType and xsd:any

Shlomo Yona writes:

> OK. So, both xsd:any and xsd:anyType refer to a subtree. While the
> default parseContents for xsd:any is "strict" the parseContents for
> xsd:anyType is "skip"?

I'm afraid you are still confused.  As I said before, one of these is a "type".  The architectural purpose of a type in XML schema is to be a constraint on what you're calling a subtree, I.e. independent of the name of an element, what are its legal contents.

xsd:any is not a type, but it's usable as a term of a particle.  It doesn't directly constrain a subtree at all.  Particles are things like the references to elements A and C in the following.

        <xsd:complexType name="T">
       <xsd:sequence>
               <xsd:element ref="A"/>
               <xsd:any />
               <xsd:element ref="C"/>
       </xsd:sequence>
       </xsd:complexType>

You will note that these references are to the >name< of an element (will, literally to the declaration).  The particles in the sequence, in this example, tell what element >names< may appear as >immediate children< of the element of type T.   They also do get you started on validating those elements, because they get you to the element declarations, which in turn have types, which in turn constrain the contents of those elements, perhaps by having groups such as sequences, which have particles....and the whole thing is thus recursive.  The <xsd:any> here is just a special type of particle that matches any name.  >It is NOT a type!< There are controls you can put on the xsd:any to make it match only names in certain namespaces, etc., as I assume you've read in the schema Recommendation [1].

There is no such thing as parseContents, but there is processContents on the wildcards.  Since the wildcard can match elements of any name, there's a possibility that some such elements will have (global) declarations in the schema and some won't.  In case that's of concern to the schema author, processContents merely tells whether it's an error not to have such declaractions, whether they are to be ignored even if present, or whether they are to be used if available to validate the content, but not cause an error if missing.

As I said in my first note, the built in type named xsd:anyType behaves as if it had a wildcard in it for elements (and another for attributes, by the way.)  anyType is magic in some ways, but it's a useful approximation for some purposes to assume the wildcard is there.  As you will see at [2], the Recommendation says:

"There is a complex type definition nearly equivalent to the ·ur-type definition· present in every schema by definition. It has the following properties:"  (in this, ur-type definition means xsd:anyType -- don't ask!)  If you look at that, you will see that its particles property is defined as:

{particles} a list containing one particle with the following properties:
Property Value
{min occurs} 0
{max occurs} unbounded
{term} a wildcard with the following properties:

Property Value
{namespace constraint} any
{process contents} lax

So, there's your answer:  it's lax.  (There is something funny going on there, because this is the root of the type hierarchy, yet lax will reject some things that skip will accept.  We had extensive discussions for Schema 1.1 about doing something to fix that, but my somewhat vague recollection is that we didn't come up with anything sufficiently satisfactory to propose as a change.  So, that's a glitch if I'm remembering correctly.)

Noah

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/PER-xmlschema-1-20040318/#Wildcards
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/PER-xmlschema-1-20040318/#d0e9210

Noah Mendelsohn