Re: [xml-dev] Required Field validation strategies

Original Message From: "J Siatkowski" <jason.siatkowski@gmail....>

> The other issue, which I didn't discuss earlier because it might have
> been moot based on the first issue, is my handling of null fields. My
> schema does indeed have custom data types, i.e. string0to14, etc. It
> also has some enumeration types. The schema also enforces required
> fields, although I have been sorely tempted to remove this from the
> schema because I have not been able to successfully validate a file
> with nulls without adding xs:nil = "true" to the elements which I want
> to be null. Only a small amount of the fields are required, and
> therefore the size of the uploaded file could be a lot smaller if the
> customer wasn't required to include the tags for elements which have
> no value. In my tests, if I omitted the tag, the schema validation
> failed because the tags were out of order. I also tried specifying a
> default value for each field in the schema if it was null, but that
> did not work well at all for date fields. A problem which I learned
> was quite common from what I've read since then.

I'm afraid I missed your original message, so I haven't seen your schema.
So apologies if this misses the point!

You can set the minOccurs attribute in the element decalrations to 0 if you
want to specify an optional element.  Is that he sort of thing you are
looking for?

Also, for default elements to take effect, an empty element must be present.
Were you trying that?

HTH,

Pete.
Pete Cordell