RE: [xml-dev] How to develop a common schema for data exchange

HI Fraser,

Think of the schema as a simple expression of the common data, not the be all/end all data model itself.

Your collaboration work should first focus on building an agreed upon data model that can be customised to meet individual requirements. The  ISO 15000-5 specification - Core Components - is focused exactly that - a methodology for creating a common conceptual data model for both behind and across organizational boundaries that can be customized using context to create physical/logical models.  A number of standards organizations (such as UN/CEFACT, OASIS UBL, OAGi, CIDX) , governments (such as projects underway in Australia, Denmark, US), and private sector companies (SAP, Oracle) are using CCTS, or beginning to use CCTS as the basis for their data models.  They recognize that interoperability is not just a once and done project, but requires alignment with a consensus standard.  Once the agreed upon data models are inplace, the XML serialization is a trivial process. A number of Schema NDRs are available for use (such as those from UN/CEFACT or OASIS UBL).

You might also consider using UN/CEFACT as the parent organization for creating your working group.  They currently have 19 diverse working groups developing standards in areas such as supply chain, environment, transportation, construction, egovernment, hospitality industry, and so on.

Kind Regards,

Mark
Mark Crawford
SAP Standards Architect
Office: 703 670-0920
Mobile: 703 485-5232
Chair UN/CEFACT Applied Technologies Group
Lead, UN/CEFACT XML NDR Standard
Editor, UN/CEFACT Core Components