Re: [xml-dev] A SAX TransformerHandler encoding question

Is your problem that the surrogate characters are both serialized to
their two UTF-8 equivalents, or that there is a read problem (which is
the reported issue in the link you mention.)

It should not be surprising if Java Characters are serialized
independently. You may find that there is some normalization library,
such as ICU, that can help by transcoding through 32 bit characters, but
I think you have to set your expectations that using the surrogates is
still, to an extent, pioneering.

Cheers
Rick Jelliffe