what is the meaning of elementFormDefault="qualified" in a schema without a targetnamespace?

Hi,
As per the subject line.

I am looking over a rather big application with some XML schemas in
which elementFormDefault is always given as qualified but there is no
targetNamespace. This strikes me as weird because the implication is
that one would have instances like this

<t:test xmlns:t="" xsi:schemaLocation="myschema.xsd"
xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"/>

which by my understanding would be very illegal.

Cheers,
Bryan Rasmussen