Transition from DTD to XML Schema specification

Hello Group:

More than 5 years ago my organisation, the IPTC (www.iptc.org), has
created first XML document specifications based on DTDs for the purpose of

exchanging news in a B2B environment. Now we want move the document
definitions to XML Schemas (to be precise: the "new" XML Schema replicates

the "old" DTD), and this drives us into a bad situation:

- for the XML Schema we define a default namespace.

- adopters of our document specification set up an XML database and load
the XML Schema for structure validation.

- then they receive XML documents which are still based on the DTD and
hence without a namespace.

- the XML DB rejects these XML instances as invalid - and actually this is

 right.

What are best practices for such a sliding transition from DTD to XML
Schema validated documents and are there workarounds to allow the import
of both non-namespaced and namespaced XML instances. Our document
specifications are used worldwide and there is no way of defining a "day
X" from that on DTD based instances are abondoned and only XML Schema
based instances are allowed.

Thanks

Michael
Sent by: