Re: [xml-dev] XML into a database

Hi David

Could it be to do with the fact that certain elements like those named
(confusingly, but no matter) 'attributes' may appear in several different
contexts (within 'country' and within 'region', etc)? I think this may cause
problems for a simple xml to database mapping tool like Access has.
What you probably need is a more sophisticated one that allows you
more control. Then you can apply sufficiently complex criteria. Or, more
to the point, rather than let a wizard in the tool determine your database
structure (which due to the reuses above could cause a simple such tool
problems), what you need is to design your own database with some
way to distinguish an 'attributes' table related to 'country' from an
'attributes' table related to 'region', etc and then use a more complex
mapping which decides which 'attributes' table the given XML belongs to
based on the parent element name. Maybe I've missed the point of your
question - then we'd need more details on what you are doing.

Best regards

Stephen Green

Stephen Green

Senior IT Officer
Bristol City Council
Room G34, Romney House
Romney Avenue
Bristol  BS99 3HB
Tel: 0117 922 3794
Fax: 0117 922 4877
Email: stephen_green@bristol.gov.uk

>>> David Bradley <dave@globe-media.com> 06/06/07 09:28:44 >>>
Hi,

I'm quite certain that this is not a fault with Access. It is more to
do with how the XML file has been constructed.
The XML file did have a reference to a DTD but the source that I got
the XML file from will not allow me access to the DTD file.

So is there anywhere to map certain XML tags to fields in the database?

Please note the new simpler name for our website: http://www.bristol.gov.uk

Our email addresses have also changed - visit http://www.bristol.gov.uk/bigchange for further details.

Sign-up for our email bulletin giving news, have-your-say  and event information at: http://www.bristol.gov.uk/newsdirect