Re: [xml-dev] Re: A question about the future of efficient XML

Robin Berjon writes:

> Everyone wants XML for these (in a zip archive, but all the same),

I think that reference to zip needs to be a bit more than parenthetical,
since the fact that zip offers not just a hierarchical container but also
standardized means of compression is more than a detail in this
discussion.  I'm not saying you can't come up with reasons why someone
>might< justify storing a W3C EXI binary stream for an office document in
a (presumably uncompressed) zip stream, but the benefits of doing so are
less than obvious to me once you've bought into zip, unless you think that
the performance characteristics of EXI compress/decompress are much better
suited to office documents than the zip approach that's been adopted by
both OpenOffice and Microsoft Office (as far as I know).

Noah

Noah Mendelsohn
IBM Corporation
One Rogers Street