Preview release of LTXML2

I'm pleased to announce the first release of LTXML2, the new version
of LTG's XML toolkit.  This release is binary-only, for Mac and Linux.
We intend to do a source release later in the year.

The software can be downloaded from:

   http://www.ltg.ed.ac.uk/software/ltxml2

From the README file:

LTXML2 Preview Binary Release, June 2007

About LTXML2:

LTXML2 is the new version of LTG's XML toolkit.  These tools were
designed for use in NLP (Natural Language Processing) applications,
but many of them are useful for general-purpose XML processing.

LTXML2 consists of a C API for reading, writing, and modifying XML
documents, an XPath library, and several applications built with
these.  The present release contains only the applications.

The applications include among others lxgrep, a grep-like program for
XML; lxt, an XSLT 1.0 implementation; lxprintf, a program for
generating plain-text tables from an XML document; and lxsort, a
sorting program.

Also included is lxtransduce, which is a key part of LT-TTT 2, our set
of shallow text NLP tools.  LT-TTT 2 will be released this summer.

Installation:

This release contains only binaries, manual pages, and the lxtransduce
DTD.  Copy the files into suitables directories on your system (e.g.
/usr/local/bin, /usr/local/man/man1, and /usr/local/share).  You may
wish to add a reference to the lxtransduce DTD to your XML catalog if
you use one.

Versions compiled for Linux and MacOS X are available.

Documentation:

There is an ltxml2 manual page with a very brief introduction to the
programs, and an individual manual page for each program.  Most of the
programs are straightforward and controlled by command-line options,
but for lxtransduce there is also an introduction to the rule files
available at:

  http://www.cogsci.ed.ac.uk/~richard/ltxml2/lxtransduce-manual.html

The forthcoming LT-TTT 2 release will include scripts and tutorial
for lxtransduce.

Copying:

The files in this release are Copyright 2007 Richard Tobin, LTG, HCRC,
University of Edinburgh.  They may not be redistributed.  We plan to
make a source release later in the year.

Bugs:

Most of these programs have not yet been widely used, so expect to
find bugs.  Please report them to richard@inf.ed.ac.uk.

-- Richard