Re: [xml-dev] ANN: Schematron Tutorial

Hi Roger,

I noticed in "Two Types of XML Schema Language"
(http://www.xfront.com/schematron/Two-types-of-XML-Schema-Language.html)
the following sentence :
"No current schema language supports both grammar- and rule based
validation"

A couple of years ago I designed the Active Schema Language (ASL) [1]
which is something maybe "hybrid" : rather than having content models
hard-coded in your schema, they are evaluated dynamically while
validating ; this leads to much more powerful validation mechanisms than
with traditional schema languages (DTD, Relax NG, W3C XML Schema, and
Schematron).

There is a major drawback when Schematron is used in addition to one of
these languages for checking a constraint that you can't express in
grammar-based languages : for example, at an insertion point inside an
editor, the user will be able to add an element allowed by the grammar
that Schematron will reject after insertion. On the opposite, ASL act
directly on the content model which can be built from additional rules.
You can download the implementation (RefleX) [2] and run an example that
demonstrates this feature [3].

Moreover, ASL allows to define semantic data types, which is a feature
available in many traditional programing languages, but curiously
missing in XML schema languages.
Although experimental, there is also a runnable exemple available in
RefleX [4].

I will talk about a feature of ASL (mixing declarative-oriented
languages with imperative instructions, which allows to build content
models dynamically) at Extreme Markup Language 2007 [5], as ASL is just
an application of Active Tags [6]

[1] http://ns.inria.fr/active-tags/active-schema/active-schema.html ""
[2] http://reflex.gforge.inria.fr/
[3] http://reflex.gforge.inria.fr/tutorial.html#N80192D "XML validation