RE: [xml-dev] Cross-breeding XML in the Wild

Yes.  If one believes one has all of the web as the target demographic, then
one is forced into the lowest common denominator.   That would mean apps
like SecondLife or There.com would have no audience because of the fat
clients.  That eliminates a lot of plug ins.  Now I get as aggravated with
Flash as anyone else because I get aggravated with ads in general but they
are the price for getting so much free information.  It is quite different
to tell us not to do innovative or creative work with animation on the web.
Heck, video is the bandwidth hog but go YouTube.

The second part of that though it that cross-breeding XML feeds into
different applications (eg, using those resx files or even Atom-feeds for
new uses in these real-time clients) is not something to discourage.  A lot
of economy is found when one realizes one can simply use what is there even
if for something it was not specifically designed for.  I've been doing
quite a bit of work with ASP 2.0 and in general find it a much improved
framework.  As I stare into the XML it produces, much of it is reusable even
if proprietary.  In fact, one way to get a proprietary thing to quit being
that is to put it to use at another job.

So I get miffed when I see early-classic-atrophy in the minds of this
generation of web developers.  We are waaaay too early in web evolution to
declare it a baked cake even if the churn makes us a bit batso.

len