Re: [xml-dev] A single, all-encompassing data validation language - good or bad for the marketplace?

On 8/7/07, Fraser Goffin <goffinf@googlemail.com> wrote:
> I seem to recall that the approach to embedding schematron rules directly
> into W3C schema have been somewhat defined already, although of course I'm
> not sure whether there are validating parsers support this style natively (I
> have the feeling that Daniel Cazzulino's schemaTron.Net used to, but I'm not
> sure what happened to this implementation).

Thanks for reminding me of that link. There's a handy stylesheet
(XSD2Schtrn.xsl), included with that article that allows you to pull
out the embedded schematron and run the validation in a two step
process.  I built a handy library a bit back to use the iso_skeleton
and the aforementioned stylesheet to use xsd+schematron but it always
felt like a hack and I never put it into a production system.  (Look
at all of the transformations! 3 transformations just for the
schematron step)

Using I'd argue against embedding schematron elements using
//xs:annotation/xs:appinfo/ if schematron is included in the spec,
mostly for the sake of brevity.  Since we'd change the existing spec,
we wouldn't have to worry about it needed to be in appinfo.  I'd also
argue against embedding anywhere in the grammar definition, but I'm
going to follow up on that in another post.

~Chris