From: Peter Hunsberger [mailto:peter.hunsberger@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, August 08, 2007 12:48 PM
To: Len Bullard
Cc: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
Subject: Re: [xml-dev] XML Feeds vs SQL Queries

On 8/8/07, Len Bullard <len.bullard@uai.com> wrote:

> Given a choice for implementing dashboards that support near-real time
> notifications, would you implement XML feeds or SQL queries and why?

I'd want to know more about the requirements:

- # of end users ?
- distributed or  local  (inside or outside the firewall) ?
- many or few points to be monitored ?
- is customization per individual required (feeds and / or look and feel)?

For example, if we need highly customizable distributed clients I'd
likely end up looking at XML with client side XSLT.  Or conversely, if
 no customization was required everything was local, behind the
firewall and we already had a MS environment then SQL might make
sense...

--
Peter Hunsberger
This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify the sender. This message contains confidential information and is intended only for the individual named. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail.