RE: [xml-dev] Results of Open XML balloting at INCITS

A process is as transparent as the output, not the logic or co-occurrence
constraints that form the business rule??? Have fun.

Is this about ISO process or technical requirements?  Last I looked, this is
a Dev list, yes?

Programmers.... coders.... what say you:   Look at this as a purely
implementation task.

For a development group, it is a decision of the development toolkit, that
is, how many patterns and representation types for an object dragged on to a
page.   For a document editor, it really isn't any different except that we
play a lot of style games with text.   OTW, HTML 1.0 + text has enough
information to keep the meaning alive.  Really.

A strategic technical decision at the point of a commercial technology
becoming a standard is what to leave out that was in the original
specification.  It is a good opportunity to cut bait.

The current document standards wars are wars over market diversity sustained
by language diversity.  The competitive interests favor differentiation but
the production costs (customer costs incurred for use of toolkits by virtue
of the relationship of language diversity to network operation costs) punish
customers.

The market must converge on the dominant document standards:  HTML, CSS,
SVG, X3D, XSLT.  You are fighting over the rights to the legacy formats.
Dump as many of them as fast as you can.

The world doesn't speak OOXML or ODF.  It speaks HTML.  The graphics formats
are a bit up for grabs but that is a loss-leader economy.

Hold up your hand if you are someone who frowns at HTML Exports that don't
export vanilla standard (NO INSTRUCTIONS) HTML?

I dunno, Rick.  Maybe the truth is bad standards are standards for systems
either not in enough use yet or of old technology that is increasingly
irrelevant given the current frequency of the deployed builds.

Frequency of use determines standard distribution as far as a grid is
concerned.

len