RE: [xml-dev] XML vs relational database

Also, I think it's useful to consider separately collections of "well
formed" XML, vs. collections known to be valid per some schema.
Collections of well formed documents behave as you describe:  because they
vary a great deal in structure, you generally have to interrogate the
structure of each instance if you care, and to a significant degree the
structures are self describing.  I think that a SQL table more closely
resembles a collection of documents known to be valid per some schema.
Depending on how rigid the constraints imposed by the schema are, it may
or may not tightly bound the structure of the instances.  Still, it's
reasonable to ask:  can a query interrogate the schema, which is analagous
I think to querying the structure of SQL tables.  The answer in XML will
depend on which schema technologies and query systems you adapt.  I will
say that one reason that XML Schema goes to such trouble to formalize not
just its transfer syntax but also it's so-called "component model" is to
make possible exposing the semantics of the schema to query systems.
What's missing, I should say, is a standard XML serialization that's quite
ismorphic to those components.  What we have today for a transfer syntax
is more analagous to the SQL statements that would define a table, rather
than schema table that would describe its columns.  Schema components are
analagous to the latter, and are quite carefully set out.  There is no
standard transfer syntax isomorphic to those components at this time,
although nonstandard versions have been put to good use (e.g. the -r
switch on XSV).

Noah

Noah Mendelsohn
IBM Corporation