Re: [xml-dev] [Summary] Backward and forward compatible schemas ... RelaxNG --> Yes ... XML Schema -->Yes

Roger Costello writes:

> <Book>
>     <Title>My Life and Times</Title>
>     <Author>Paul McCartney</Author>
>     <Date>1998</Date>
>     <ISBN>1-56592-235-2</ISBN>
>     <Publisher>McMillan Publishing</Publisher>
>     <Other>
>         <NumPages>345</NumPages>
>         <Other>
>             <Hardcover>true</Hardcover>
>         </Other>
>     </Other>
> </Book>

Yes, and with the changes in Schema 1.1 it will still be possible to do
this if you want to, or you will be able to write the sort of schema you
originally proposed, which would validate:

<Book>
    <Title>My Life and Times</Title>
    <Author>Paul McCartney</Author>
    <Date>1998</Date>
    <ISBN>1-56592-235-2</ISBN>
    <Publisher>McMillan Publishing</Publisher>
    <NumPages>345</NumPages>
    <Hardcover>true</Hardcover>
</Book>

Personally, I feel that the nested <other>'s don't scale very well in the
case where there will be lots of changes.  Perhaps readers of this thread
will be interested in an analysis I did for the Schema workgroup about 3
years ago.  It calls out goals like:

* "The same vocabulary may be versioned or fixed repeatedly.  Accordingly,
the design should be convenient to use even after 20 or 30 such
revisions."

* "The versioning mechanisms should not presume particular instance
constructions such as <extension> elements."

There are several more in that spirit. Keep in mind that this was one of
many inputs to the work we did on Schema 1.1, and is not in all cases
descriptive of what we decided to do.  I'd point especially to the
assumptions and rationale section, which I think holds up reasonably well
as a set of goals and guidelines for approaching the whole "versioning in
XML business".  It goes on to propose some mechanisms, some of which
closely map to what we've decided to do Schema 1.1, but some don't.
Anyway, it's at [1] in case anyone's interested (it's labeled "rough
draft", but no cleaner version was ever done).

Noah

[1]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2004Aug/att-0010/NRMVersioningProposal.html

[1]