Validation help

Hi:

I have a question about validation.
This is the xml fragment I want to validate:

<word syllables="2">arrow</word>

This is my current complexType for it:

<xs:complexType name="wordType">
<xs:simpleContent>
<xs:extension base="xs:string">
<xs:attribute name="syllables" type="ns1:lowint" use="required"/>
</xs:extension>
</xs:simpleContent>
</xs:complexType>

This schema is adequately diligent with the attribute (using a
customized "lowint" type which only allows integers from 1 to 7), but
I want constraints on the contents of the element as well. For one
thing, it may not be empty, and must match a "[\w]+" pattern
(alphanumeric, no punctuation or whitespace)

the finished schema should not validate the following invalid xml fragments:

<word syllables="2"></word>
<word syllables="2">1 .23</word>
<word syllables="2">two words</word>

I'm pretty new to schema... I'm fumbling with it. I've tried dozens of
combinations to get this to validate

Thanks.

--
http://www.juegopixel.com