RE: [xml-dev] xsd:enumeration, preserve and attribute value normalization

You can always use character references, for example &_#x9; (sans underscore), which produces a tab character that is not subject to XML 1.0 attribute value normalization.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/

From: Shlomo Yona [mailto:S.Yona@F5.com]
Sent: 26 August 2007 09:22
To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
Subject: [xml-dev] xsd:enumeration, preserve and attribute value normalization

Hello,

In XML Schema, when defining a simple type that is derived from xsd:string, I don’t know how to make sense of an enumeration facet whose value contains a tab, a new line or a CR:

<xsd:element name=”foo”>

<xsd:simpleType>

                        <xsd:restriction base=”xsd:string”>

<xsd:enumeration value='           tab        tab        ‘/>

                        </xsd:restriction>

</xsd:simpleType>

</xsd:element>

According to the attribute value normalization in XML 1.0 (see: http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml/#AVNormalize) I am required to normalize the attribute value of the attribute ‘value’ of xsd:enumeration. But once I do that, what’s the purpose of the <xsd:whiteSpace value=”preserve”/> ? Since I cannot get the enumerated value with the original whitespace characters, I will not be able to match an element value for the element ‘foo’ since the whitespaces in the element value will be preserved (according to the expected behavior for element values).

Is it impossible, then, to define an enumeration facet that contains non-space whitespaces, for element values?

Thanks.

Shlomo