RE: [xml-dev] Article on nytimes.com about Microsoft

Right - I was saying *in general*, but agree that for the specific case of regularly structured documents that are heavy on markup, Fast Infoset and EXI show some good results.  It's good to know that there is a Reader/Writer implementation of FI for .NET.

Alexander Philippou <alex@noemax.com> wrote:
Michael Champion wrote:
> None of the binary XML formats we've seen greatly reduce the bandwidth
> or processor burden of XML in general.

Disagree... for docs with repeating markup and without a high proportion of
text Fast Infoset can give good compactness (http://tinyurl.com/37n373)
without the processing overhead of compression.

> If a W3C Recommendation emerges and/or there is customer demand
> (or, ahem, de jure government demand) to support interoperability on the
> basis of EXI (or ITU FastInfoset, an existing binary XML standard), we'd
> be able to support it in the .NET architecture.

FI is already available for .NET as an XmlReader/Writer implementation that
is interoperable with Java and C++. There is also an FI message encoding
offering WCF<->WSIT/Metro communication over any transport.

Alexander