RE: [xml-dev] CSS as XML

Hi Manfred,

I'm not sure I completely understand question right.  I would express your
example as follows:

	<padding>
		<left unit="px">8</left>
	</padding>
	<text>
		<color unit="name">black</color>
	</text>
	<background>
		<color unit="hex">ccddff</color>
	</background>

	<padding>
		<left unit="px">0</left>
	</padding>

The second xpath expression looks a little funny but in a quick test in a
sandbox it seemed to be fine.  The xslt would then convert the xpath back to
css selectors as in your example (replace the // with space and the [@id='
with . and remove the ']).

The browser's css processor would then just process the css as normal.  Of
course I don't know how to get it to do that, but that's the idea.  With
regard to the specificity, you can see from the xpath expressions that the
second style defines more specifically the divs that are descendents of divs
that are descendents of divs with id 'namindex'.  So, according to the
specificity rules it should override the first style element.

Regarding your question b, I suppose if the styles are dynamically generated
then you're right, they can't be cached.  Perhaps the xml and xslt files can
be cached and the processing would be done at run time.

Cheers,

Fraser