len

From: Rick Marshall [mailto:rjm@zenucom.com]

Hi Len

I think you misunderstood. I'm not concerned with the legals around
patents etc. That's working it's way - slowly - to a sensible position:
software patents are mostly nonsense.

I'm concerned with the ordinary legal process that has to cope with eg
an organisation that has been ignoring employee safety and all the
documentation that may or may not prove culpability is in ODF or OOXML
(or worse old word formats). People may die, go to gaol, etc and it is
critical that prosecution and defense can confidently state that a
document supports or doesn't support a case.

The archivists and historians will have similar problems. I don't know
what you do in the USA, but here in Australia government cabinet papers
are released to the public after 30 years, usually with very little or
no censorship - if it's an electronic document instead of paper...

So MS may or may not get richer. I don't really care. But as a community
I think it is critical that these standards are done properly.

Regards
Rick

Len Bullard wrote:
> As Michael Kay said, it started in Germany.   I don't think it a bad idea
> have open formats.  I think it a bad idea when open source and open
formats
> become a legal weapon or even just a means to brand a company then use
that
> branding in the face of competition or legal obstacles to competition.
One