Re: [xml-dev] The year is 2027, and we need to examine archived XML documents from 2007 ...

Wouldn't (X)HTML meet these requirements?

Rick Marshall <rjm@zenucom.com> wrote:
Hi

So, instead of fighting over ODF/OOXML which can survive with or without
each other, perhaps ISO/W3C/OASIS/IETF etc should focus on a (possibly)
XML based archive format for documents and data which preserves basic
layout, links, binary objects (like jpg, avi, etc) as part of the
format. Open Office and Microsoft can conform to Government requirements
by having a "Save Archive" option.

All sorts of applications, not just office functions could target the
archive format for long term storage and searching.

Rick

PS This is not a request to return to SGML, although it could once again
be the starting point.