Re: [xml-dev] The year is 2027, and we need to examine archived XMLdocuments from 2007 ...

Costello, Roger L. wrote:
> Suppose the year is 2027. XML stopped being used years earlier, in
> favor of another format.

Personally, I doubt it. The cost of achieving consensus for another
format is probably much greater than the benefit, but this part of the
scenario isn't essential.

> The financial institution wants to examine its
> data archives (XML documents) from 2007. What capabilities must the
> financial institution have to read the archives?
>
> I think the only capability that the financial institution will require
> is the ability to interpret Unicode or ASCII, correct? Having an XML
> parser will not be required, correct?

They'll need some way to parse the structure, or they will be unable to
distinguish the text from comments and metadata associated with the
text, determine that a bunch of cells actually define a table, etc.

They'll probably need some kind of documented schema, because for
complex schemas, the meaning of some of the markup won't be audience.

They'll be happiest if the documentation for this format does not
require 6,000 pages, because writing a program that uses this data well
may require understanding the format as a whole. They'll also be
happiest if the documentation fully specifies the format without
hand-waving.

Jonathan