Re: [xml-dev] Why is Encoding Metadata (e.g. encoding="UTF-8) putInside the XML Document?

Already there is a significant problem with traditional file systems.

Linux (... Unix) keeps a small amount of meta data - user, group,
access, etc in the inode structure. selinux stores acl.

Windows had nothing more than a file name - but now contains acl
information.

However, when transferring files this information is not necessarily
transferred, particularly when non-system utilities are used. What hope
is there if more meta information is stored in the file indexing system.
Even this is a struggle to define because linux directories are files
referring to inodes, while windows has directories...

Then if we move meta information into the files so that it moves with
the files, how do we get that to line up eg the owning user may not
exist on the target system.

Meta information in the file is also a conflict with the basic concept
that a file is a stream of bytes.

And so it goes.  This is something that will probably remain messy forever.

The current XML solution of PI's is good for XML without breaking the
many other (often not standardised) file structures.

Rick