From: Philippe Poulard [mailto:philippe.poulard@sophia.inria.fr]
Sent: Thursday, September 20, 2007 12:00 PM
To: Rudick, Tom
Cc: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
Subject: Re: [xml-dev] [Summary] Why is Encoding Metadata (e.g.
encoding="UTF-8") put Inside the XML Document?

Rudick, Tom a écrit :
> If the HTTP headers do not indicate what the encoding of the document
> is, you must read the document (at least the first line) and figure
out
> what the encoding is.  However, how is this accomplished?  If you
don't
> know the encoding of the document to begin with, how can you read
even
> the first line?
>
> After reading this http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml/#sec-guessing, it
seems
> that instead of reading what <?xml encoding="utf-8"?> has to say,
> parsers simply look at the first few octets of the document and
compare
> it to several known encodings of the text <?xml.  Then, they just
> continue to read the rest of the document.

Not exactly : the first few octets will indicate if <?xml
encoding="blah-blah"?> is coded on 1, 2, or even 4 bytes (for UCS) ;
the
charset of the sequence <?xml encoding="blah-blah"?> is limited to
ASCII-7 bits, which is fortunately compatible with UTF-8, ISO-8859-1
and
some others, and easily decodable if coded on 2 or 4 bytes, because the

same sequence is mapped to ASCII-7 bits, whatever the number of bytes
(zero-extension) ; for example :
Bits Encoding    Hex Dec Char
  7   US-ASCII     41  65  A                              1000001
  8   ASCII 8bits  41  65  A                             01000001
16   UCS-2        41  65  A                    00000000 01000001
32   UCS-4        41  65  A  00000000 00000000 00000000 01000001

So, the encoding can be read (if any)

I guess some parsers have additional heuristics for reading
successfully
the sequence <?xml encoding="blah-blah"?> ; maybe some try-catch to
apply with the set of charset they know ?

--
Cordialement,

               ///
              (. .)