RE: [xml-dev] [Summary #2] Why is Encoding Metadata (e.g. encoding="UTF-8") put Inside the XML Document?

Hi Robin,

Thanks for the reference.  Good information!  I've added a link to it.

I took a look at the reference and yes the recommendations we are
making are consistent with those in the referenced document.

The referenced document recommends:

1. Always declare the encoding of your documents

2. The meta charset declaration should appear as close as possible to
the top of the head element.

And here's the recommendations we have:

1. XML Documents: always use an XML declaration, with encoding.

2. HTML Documents: always use the meta tag and place it at the top of
the header section, i.e. the first child of <head>.

/Roger