Re: [xml-dev] SQL4

Hi Dmitry,

I haven't had time to look carefully at you language yet (I will), but
at first blush, I think this is in the same space as two existing
standards, SQL/XML, which is part of the SQL standard, and XQuery, an
XML query language which is also used on SQL/XML views of relational
data in some products.

You ask how to standardize the language. What goals would you want to
reach by standardizing this language? Remember that standardization is
not an end in itself, but a means to an end.

I think creating a standard is mostly about identifying the main players
in an area and agreeing with them about the best way to do something in
that area. Standards bodies exist to make this possible. So the first
step is to figure out how your approach differs from other existing
approaches, and why it should be used as the standard means, instead of
the standards that currently exist, and find some partners in other
companies who vehemently agree with you, then identify a standards body
that is relevant to your target market. For ISO/ANSI, you would have to
think about the relationship of your language to SQL, SQL/XML, and
XQuery, for the W3C, you would have to think about the relationship of
your language to XQuery.

And of course, any time you get involved with other people to create a
standard, you have to be open to having your ideas challenged and to
changing your language.

Hope this helps,

Jonathan