RE: [xml-dev] [Summary] UTF-8 Question: e with acute accent should require two bytes, right?

I don't see what "UTF-8 character" could mean other than a "(Unicode)
character encoded in UTF-8".  Some people even mean a single byte of such,
and lots of people (I just did a Google search) when they say "ASCII
character" they actually refer to the bit patterns as well as to the
character represented by that bit pattern.  So some people refer to the
character, some people refer to the encoding, and some people refer to both.
I think that since the ASCII standard specifies both, the two aspects of an
ASCII character are inseparable as long as one uses the phrase "ASCII
character".  So I disagree that the word "ASCII" as an adjective means
"supported in ASCII" to everybody.  It means something closer to "supported
in ASCII and encoded in this way".  That will match UTF-8 but not Unicode in
general.

Alessandro