Re: [xml-dev] Selective restriction for attributes based on elementvalues.

Hello Nagesh,

Nagesh Subrahmanyam wrote:
> I have an element <startTag> with attribute as type. The value of the
> attribute type can be numeric or alphabetic (with or without limits
> and/or patterns) depending on what was the value of the element. The
> value of the element would be string always. How do I apply such a
> restriction for the attribute ?
>
> Examples :
>   <startTag type="x">op1</startTag>
>   <startTag type="0">op2</startTag>
>
> Regards,
> Nags.

I suggest you want to know, how to define the restriction for some XSD
Schema? As far as I know for that case you have to define your own type,
which might look like this (untested):

  <xs:simpleType name="myRestrictedType">
    <xs:restriction base="xs:string">
      <xs:pattern value="([a-zA-Z]|[0-9])"/>
    </xs:restriction>
  </xs:simpleType>

and reference from your attribute declaration:

  <xs:attribute name="type" type="myRestrictedType" use="required" />

Hope that helps!
-- Dennis Sterzenbach