Re: [xml-dev] XML data binding and schema styles

Hi Andrew,

Data binding tools generally have fairly primitive support for schema.
Most treat unions, for instance, as just strings, and nested compositors
with maxOccurs > 1 will often result in an API that has an array of
undifferentiated element components (perhaps with a parallel array of
type codes) without regard to the ordering or occurs restrictions given
in the schema definition. So you're best off sticking with fairly simple
constructs, and the salami slice style is a good match in that regard.

XMLBeans does a better job than most data binding frameworks of exposing
the schema model in the generated code, but on the other hand it doesn't
enforce most aspects unless you actually use validation. It's very easy
with XMLBeans to generate invalid XML documents by forgetting to set a
required value, for instance - XMLBeans will happily marshal whatever
you do set, without any complaint about the missing values (and will
also ignore missing required values when unmarshalling, for that
matter). Most other data binding frameworks would throw an exception if
you're missing a required value on either marshalling or unmarshalling.

  - Dennis

Dennis M. Sosnoski
SOA and Web Services in Java
Training and Consulting