Re: [xml-dev] Heterogeneous XML editing environments - how do you cope?

I've never really found it possible a pretty printer that was completely
neutral towards whitespace that could be significant.  Usually, I try to
set up my processing to that the pretty printing does not have a
significant effect on the final result.

What might work is two pass XSLT processing.  Use the first pass to check
which elements can contain direct child text nodes with non-whitespace
characters.  From that information, generate an "identity" XSLT
transformation that preserves the space for those elements, and strips the
space for others, plus specify output indenting in it as well.  I suspect
that wouldn't be too bad as a heuristic approach.

Cheers, Tony.

--
Anthony B. Coates
Senior Partner