Re: [xml-dev] xml:lang how often used?

Hi Ken,

well actually languageID in UBL seems to me to used as an xml:lang
replacement on at least some elements - for example languageID on
Name. Not sure if there is some usage somewhere on in some
localization that goes beyond or differs from the xml:lang usage.

 I think though now I just realized a really perverse and strange use
case I hadn't thought of for having a language identifier different
than xml:lang, which is that xml:lang sets the language specification
for all attributes + contents of an element, but you could
theoretically see situations where attributes for some reason had a
different language than the text nodes or where the specification
wanted to only allow the setting of language type on text nodes, no
child elements affected.

Well - in theory, not sure if it would ever happen. I guess that would
be a psychotic use of languages, sort of like psychotic namespaces

maybe somewhere in the wide xml world there is something like this:

<a xml:lang="en-gb" att="colour" lang="en-us">color</a>

:)
where the spec says that a lang attribute takes precedence over
xml:lang for the textnode.

Now that would be funny!

of course languageID and xml:lang both look to
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3066.txt

Of course it is sort of funny that I am complaining about it now than
when I was on the UBL group but I figured it was something that it was
not a pressing issue and had been decided in an earlier draft of the
language anyway.

I can also say I am familiar with the same type of 'we need to support
multiple languages, lets do it with an attribute on the element called
language' thinking from various things in different formats I have
seen over the years.

Cheers,
Bryan Rasmussen