RE: [xml-dev] XQuery & Several records (instead of one xml-field)

> So from the primary input (XML infoset, PSVI or something
> else (like a RDBMS Schema)), an instance of the data model
> must be constructed, on which a XQuery program can operate
> (via a XQuery engine).

At a very abstract level, yes. But it doesn't have to be in memory. It can
be on disk, or it can be a view of data represented in some other way (e.g.
tables in an RDBMS). It doesn't even all have to exist at the same time,
that is, it can be a transient stream of SAX events.

> The data model instance is represented by a set of data
> structures, in say a JVM space.
>
> Am I correct in saying so?

I think the engineering possibilities are a lot wider than you are
imagining.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/