Compressed XML and XSLT

Is there an solution that can take an XML file in a compressed format that will perform the minimal in-memory expansion needed to apply various extraction filters?

The problem is this: given a large, compressed XML file, I want to apply varous filtering templates to produce an abstract of the original, which may be many times smaller. With that smaller input, I can then apply further transforms that an entire document in-memory.

The goal is to produce an abstracted and reformatted XML file with minimal disk space and memory usage. It would seem that whether the compressed input would need to be fully expanded iin-memory would depend on both the compression method and queries involved.

I see there's an XQuery project called  XQueC that might apply here, but I don't know that it ever escaped research stage.

Regards,

Jeff Lowery