Re: [xml-dev] Blog post on limitations of import/include in W3C XML Schemas

Hi Noah.  You seem to be talking about Schema *file* repositories, I was
certainly talking about Schema *definition* repositories, which are not
quite the same (just as the old IBM "Visual Age for Java" product was
different in the way it did method-level versioning instead of file-level
versioning).

Standards are, of course, the antithesis of freedom and of "letting a
thousand flowers bloom".  The problem that I see now, though, is a lack of
definition-level repository functionality in the Schema tools that are
available.  For me and the things I commonly want to do, that means that
I'm still searching for the flowers among the blooming weeds.

The thing is, without a Schema definition repository standard, the most
common desktop tools (e.g. XML Spy, oXygen) will only support simple
file-based mechanisms, and so that is all that most users will think is
possible, and we'll remain stuck where we are (not that everyone is
unhappy with that, of course, not everyone needs a repository).

Cheers, Tony.

--
Anthony B. Coates
Senior Partner