Re: [xml-dev] xml spy code generation..

The only benefit I've ever seen to data binding is it allows you to
write an XML Schema, run the data binding tool over it, import the
generated code in your application and from then on you can do the
following:

if your document element is book with an element author under it you can do

book.author ="James Joyce";

and so forth.
The data binding solution would also make sure that the data types of
the various elements were adhered to, if you had defined a data type
for ISBN number or price the data binding would assure you did not
write book.price = "James Joyce"; as long as you made sure your data
types were strongly defined and not just all xsd:string like many
people seem to use.

I suppose you can extend the classes that the data binding solution
creates, hopefully, but I don't know enough about XMLSpy databinding
to say, and if to extend the classes creates side-effects in the
schema (perhaps you create a type property to book and limit that to
the terms Science Fiction, Romance, Western, next thing you know the
schema is updated with a type element and and enumeration - some
people would find that useful I would hate it.)

Anyway that is the way I always see Data binding described. I don't
use Data binding tools because they seem somewhat tedious and
difficult to customize for one's particular needs.

Cheers,
Bryan Rasmussen