Re: [xml-dev] choosing elements based on attribute values

At 2007-11-16 10:19 -0800, dave wrote:
>Just trying one last time:

You seem impatient after waiting for less than two days for
volunteers to take from their time to help you.

> > I use W3C schema 1.0. I need to make an element or
> > set
> > of elements mandatory or optional based on the
> > attribute value as below:
> >
> > <parent>
> >  <child age="10" sex="male">
> >     <property>
> >      <p1/>
> >      <p2/>
> >      <p3/>
> >     <property>
> >     <property>
> >      <p1/>  //mandatory only if age=10, sex=male
> >      <p2/>
> >      <p3/>
> >     <property>
> >  </child>
> >  <child age="12" sex="female">
> >     <property>
> >      <p1/>   //mandatory only if age=10, sex=male
> >      <p2/>
> >      <p3/>
> >     <property>
> >  </child>
> > <parent>
> >

> > How do I check the attribute values(age and sex) and
> > make element 'p1' mandatory or optional based on the
> > attr value?
> >
> > I use w3c schema 1.0.

What you ask is not possible with W3C Schema 1.0 ... it is possible
with ISO/IEC 19757-3 RELAX-NG.

> > I downloaded the latest xmlspy. And it doesn't seem
> > support XSD 1.1.

Then I guess you will need to find another tool.

The oXygen tool supports RELAX-NG and you can validate your needed
constraint using that.  There are other free RELAX-NG tools that you
could use as well.

I hope this helps.

--
Comprehensive in-depth XSLT2/XSL-FO1.1 classes: Austin TX,Jan-2008
Crane Softwrights Ltd.          http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/x/