Re: Approaches to Expanding the Semantics of a Community's Self-InterestedXML Vocabulary

Costello, Roger L. wrote:

> I am documenting the different approaches for extending the semantics
> of a community's tag-set. I seek your thoughts on this topic.

It seems to me that the characteristics of the communities and the data
may mean that the choice is not straightforward. The residential lending
chain in Australia uses a set of schemas to describe the information
required to drive interactions such as broker/lender, lender/valuer,
lender/mortgage insurer, etc. Assuming you consider these interactions
to be representing communities, there is a very definite progression of
various parts the same information through multiple communities. But the
lending chain itself is also a community, consisting of the individual
communities used to drive processes. A property valuer and a credit
scoring agency never interact in the lending chain, but there are
intersections of their data. Allowing them and every other community in
the chain to represent the same address different ways is not ideal.

Your approach 1 or 2 might be better for the small communities, but they
would may life very difficult for the chain, as change would ripple up
and down. To eliminate that, we use a vocabulary that supports the
superset of all structures, then use derivation by restriction to
produce the final schemas for the various communities. Of course that
means that we get people who suggest that there would be a cleaner way
do describe data for their community and they're usually right. But the
more flexibility we give them, the further away the realization of
Straight Through Processing (STP) of a mortgage becomes. The key is to
find the balance that allows them to describe all the necessary
information, but to do it in a way consistent with the chain.

Marcus Carr