Re: [xml-dev] editing XML with Spreadsheets, most likely Excel

On Sunday 02 December 2007 03:36, Dave Pawson wrote:

> Stephen Green wrote:
> > An afterthought:
> > I've not tried it but maybe, if you use XSLT to create XML output from
> > the underlying XML of the spreadsheet,
>
> I used that method regularly. Spreadsheet entered in MS excel,
> import into Open Office, save. Unzip the xml and process.
> The empty cells weren't a problem. The information is present
> to 'expand' them to make a complete matrix. Expand to a variable
> then process in the normal way.
>
> Note it was 'regular' data though.

There is also an open source (pure) Java library for reading Excel files,
which has a demo that reads an Excel file and writes into an XML file.

http://jexcelapi.sourceforge.net/

--
Nicholas Sushkin, Senior Software Engineer
http://www.openfinance.com http://www.wealthinformationexchange.com

smime.p7s