Re: [xml-dev] The association of SOA with SOAP, and to the inevitable endsof religious wars

Bryan Rasmussen writes:

> It don't think it translates well to document literal requirements,
> and as noted it is a binding for RPC only right?

Not quite.  SOAP works great with document literal.  Think of that stock
quote example:  you can return the price of the stock using any reasonable
XML <soap:body> element you like.  The reason RPC is discussed explicitly
is that using GET appears to present a particular challenge if your
original mindset was to try and implement an RPC like:

        returnedStockPrice = stockPrice(company="ibm", date="20071204");

The section you're referring to suggests that you might to do a GET to a
URI along the lines of:

        http://example.org/stockprices?company=ibm+date=20071204

So, the GET support works either way; in the case of RPC, you have to
decide that parameters that would have been encoded in the SOAP Request
body will instead be in the URI designating the resource.

BTW: I understand that you were not at any point intending to be
inflamatory.  However, as several people have pointed out, when you say
"with REST the winner" that is at best a pretty extreme
oversimplification.   There are communities in which REST is winning
(often for good reason), many in which SOAP is winning (arguably for good
reason at least some of the time), and no doubt players on both sides of
the question who don't understand the tradeoffs as well as they might. So,
that makes it a bit harder to take the announcement of a winner as a joke,
because the appropriate balance between REST and WS* remains a point of
discussion within the community, and some of us have been working hard to
make that a calmer and more reflective discussion all around.  I
understand that is your goal too, but I hope you can see why some of us
weren't happy with your original note.

Noah

Noah Mendelsohn
IBM Corporation